Monday 13 October 2008

Books

www.888dag.com

What is it about books? In this day and age of digital images, and computerised information, it is still good to hold a book and read it at leisure.

Yesterday we babysat for our beautiful granddaughter, aged 15 months. She has many toys but her favourites are the books. She loves to be read to and look at the pictures. I hope this augers well for the future.

Today I went to the gym and took a "new" book to read. I actually bought it for $3 in St Vincent De Paul. It was printed in 1991 but appeared unread. Riding the stationary bike does get a little boring and I do enjoy a read, so I combine the two. However, when the exercise was over, I had forgotten to bring a bookmark. I just could not bring myself to fold over the corner of the page. It's amazing how one's upbringing, (I had always been taught to respect books) remains with you throughout your life.

4 comments:

EyeOfTheLeopard said...

your no1 son not only folds, but highlights, underlines and comments in the margin. It's your book - and if you lend it, it is nice for others to see what you enjoyed x

Madame Synesthesia said...

It's something that's always remained with me as well. My parents encouraged us to read as much as possible and always take care of the books we're reading. My father's collection of books was his other child :) To this day I've never folded, ripped or marked the page of a book.

Thanks for the post.

Lise said...

So true!! I basially just find anything that is flat....business card..one square of loo paper...nail file...anything you can quickly get your hands on to avoid messing up your books!!

pommygran8 said...

to fold is a sacrilege indeed...but I cant remember who instilled that idea in us when we were children....?